This post is a bit different to what you may usually see me sharing, which makes me a little nervous but here it goes! Many of you may only see me through photos or videos, but don’t really know the real Gina… Don’t get me wrong, even on the photos it’s the real me, but a lot of you don’t know what I do on my free time, my past experiences, or what I dedicate my time to on the side. I have so many other passions that I’ve developed throughout the years from a young age, but I really don’t share because my blog is centered around fashion and lifestyle.
To give you a bit of backstory, I was sort of a quiet kid and not so girly either .. but anyways lets talk a little deep and get started!
- I grew up playing golf. Since the age of 3, I was introduced to golf by my dad (maybe because he never had a son he really had no other choice but to choose me haha) and to my surprise I ended up loving it and played until college. I always wondered why the dominant ratio was males in the sport, but I didn’t care I actually love it. I played competitively and participated in tournaments which lead to making awesome friends that I still keep in touch with. At times it was a bit difficult because for a point in my life, it was all I did but the sport helped me learn a lot about discipline and etiquette.
- I have a nasty habit of biting my nails when I get nervous or start over-thinking. I used to do it since I was a baby was a and to this day still do! I have tried everything to get rid of it, but find myself unconsciously doing it. If you guys have any tips please let me know ! All are welcomed!!
- I have always worked. I landed my first real job at a store in the Otay Ranch Mall near my house. It was an accessory store similar to Claire’s. I remember my first day on the job, I came home BEAT and slept for like 13 hours. I decided to start working because I needed to save up money for a trip that I had coming up which I will talk about late on in this blog post ! However, since then I always felt the need to make my own money for all my personal expenses.
- So this one I was a little embarrassed to write about but Limited Too was my all time childhood favorite store. It wasn’t just my favorite store, it was my obsession. I think most girls are in with me on this one, especially any fellow bloggers who would bright colors and think you were the coolest kid in school. I remember these pair of lime green sweatpants that I would wear at least twice a week. They had a navy blue stripe down the side of my leg, and I honestly look back at pictures and don’t know what I was thinking!!
- Touching base with #3 on the list, I backpacked around Europe for three months after high school. This was the first trip I ever made outside the US and Mexico which was a huge deal. I went with 4 other friends : the partier, the one who was familiar with the area, the go with the flow gal, and the don’t touch my things ! It was the most amazing trip! I honestly was very young to appreciate all the places that I was visiting, but the highlights of the trip were definitely Paris, Madrid, Prague, Brussels. Amsterdam, and San Sebastian where I went to la “Pamplonada”. I have endless stories about my Euro trip which I will share on a later blog post, but this was one of my favorite trips.
- In Mexico, people don’t have sweet sixteens; They have quinces. I, however, never really partook in the big party with dancing etc. Instead, I asked for a trip to China. I guess this trip definitely foreshadowed where I would eventually be doing with my life. The flight was LONG, and not like your regular flight. It was almost unbearable. However, I got a taste of a different culture at a very young age and I got to walk through the Great Wall of China. How many 15 year olds can say that? I remember getting massages, shopping, and getting five star treatment and the prices being ridiculously low. It was one of the trips that marked my childhood.
- I still keep suffering from #7 . I broke my wrist when I was 12 because I was riding a bike and fell off. There was a pesky bee in my way and I was distracted by it, trying not to get stung, and I lost control of the handle and fell off a cliff ( a small cliff haha). I ended up landing on my wrist and my wrist has never been the same since. I say I still suffer from it because my bone is popped out and although it doesn’t hurt, I have limited availability to bracelets and watches. From time to time, I wear my watch on the wrong hand just because the bone bothers me.
- I wanted to share also the most meaningful gift I have ever received. I remember this story perfectly. It was a Christmas gift from my sister. My sister was around 13 and I was already living out of state for college. I had a huge obsession with MAC cosmetics, so naturally when my parents asked my what I wanted as a gift, I said that. Little did I know, my parents had already bought me a gift and they were asking for my sister. My sister did not work at the time, so she ended up going to MAC and buying two lipsticks. However, when she got there she saw there was a raffle going on; a raffle for a huge basket full of MAC cosmetics. I’m talking highlighters, lipsticks. nail polish, glosses, shadows, blushes, and even the glitter powders. She bought two tickets, just for the cause and for the off chance that she might actually win the prize. To her surprise, she ended up winning the raffle and gifting me the basket of cosmetics. What makes this the most meaningful gift isn’t the prize, but the fact that she won it for me and thinking of me.
- I love talking about this experience. It was one of the few times in my life that I have been starstruck. I went to the Ellen show and I got to see Ellen Degeneres in her prime! It was such an experience from the beginning. I mean, the whole audience was filled with joy just to be attending the show. The special guests were Steve Carrell and Emily Thorne.. I meaaaaan! It was too much fun just to be a part of the show for a couple of hours. I’ve always said that if I had to choose one person in Hollywood to be best friends with, it would be Ellen hands-down. She just has such a good soul and fills everyone’s day with happiness. How can you not love that?
- Last but not least, I am a sucker for love! I know this for a fact because at the age of 2, I was so in love with my dad, I staged a fake wedding to get married to my dad because he was the most amazing human being and I wanted to express that love. It was not your ordinary fake wedding, I wore a white dress and everything, and my dad kneeled for the picture so that the height difference wouldn’t alarm anyone. I still have pictures of that day and reminiscing about it knowing that I am going to get married in less than a year, just makes it all the more special.